Monday, March 2, 2009

Potty training adventures with Gwyn

I know it has been AWHILE since I blogged.  Life with kids and ministry and a job and homeschooling.  Life.  That is it.  I would rather play with my kids...or read a book...or watch a great TV show...than stare at the computer.  Anyway, I just could not, not share this with my blog girls.  This one is for you Aly and Annie.  I miss being able to share these stories with you at the park...
We recently dedicated our sweet Gwyn which basically means we prayed over her life with close family and friends (pictured here Aaron and Emily-friends so dear they seem like family) and committed to raising her in the knowledge of Christ and pouring His love and ours into her.  She is the most precious, soft little soul and she has completed our little family.  We love her, but life with a 21 month old is always a crazy mix of pure joy and pure...hmm read on.

Gwyn is potty training, and doing well as a preface.  She usually only has about one pee accident a day and never poos in her pants anymore.  She is even dry at Disneyland or on drives to LA.  I am impressed.  But, she has a milk intolerance that makes her gassy and constipated.  We are usually so careful, but this week a bit of cheese slipped through and she ate it.  The next day she was upset at her bowels and trying to poop.  We let her roam with no pants to allow easy access while we were cooking dinner after a long day.  She was kinda whining and we were kinda not paying much attention.  Not a good thing cause next thing I know she is calling Poop! from her room.  I go in and she is squatting in front of her dollhouse dropping the biggest log ever.  I look at her red face and see defeat.  She is mad at herself, so I don't make a big deal, grap a wippee and lysol, pick it up and we take it to the potty, talk about how it should go in there and NOT on the ground and flush it bye-bye.  I go back to dinner prep without dressing her.  I figure the danger is gone and a little naked time is always fun.  She comes in the kitchen and "cooks" at her play kitchen.  THEN, after a few minutes I hear the Poop! call and look over to see her STANDING in her own poo.  She didn't just drop one...she stepped in it!  Ahh!  Adam and I were SOO excited to have choosen parenthood at that moment.  Aggie held the dog back (Peyton the dog is famous for eating the poo-good times), while I held Gwyn in mid-air.  He went and got the wipees.  We wiped her down.  Sprayed HER feet with lysol.  Picked up the poo.  Wiped up the smashed poo.  Lysoled the ground and mopped with antibacterial soap.  THEN, back to dinner prep.  Good times, hey?  Adam and I joke that maybe we should have waited even longer (we waited 5 years) to have kids.  It surely is an adventure.  Especially the poop part.  

5 comments:

Christina Ellis said...

Jess, I love that you haven't blogged in a while and the story you share is Gwyn's dedication and poop adventures. It cracks me up! I love poop stories...not sure why, I just think they're hilarious! It's good to know that you can look back on the situation and laugh. :)

Krista Debrick said...

HAHAHAHA!! This makes me miss our family dinner conversations about poop and farts. This is why I love our family!! =)

Old Skool said...

oh my land Jess! I love poop in the middle of food prep (remember my marshmellow rice krispy lambs). So glad Adam was there with you to share in the joy! Trav always keeps me real when stuff like that happens when he's there:) Miss you!

Alyssa said...

This is the first blog I have read in over a month and i loved it, it made me miss you and the fam! Could Gwyn be any cuter!!! I love her leg warmers and bootie hanging out, so adorable! Maybe Gwyn could give Sofia some tips when we are there, she has no desire to potty train! love you can't wait to hang out!

Runningamuck said...

So I know this is a new story but I'm just now realizing you had/have a blog. Hilarious story but hits waaayyyy too close to home. Isn't parenting FUN?! While I'm sad to not have any more babies, I am SO excited to be done with potty training! Man was that a lot of hard work. Great story.
=0)
(by the way, this is Jenny W.)