Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Roadtrip to Monterey


Oh my goodness...Gwyn does not like the car! As we were sitting on the grass of a Shell station half way up the state I thought "What have we gotten ourselves into?" The 5 hour drive took us 9 because of the screamer. But it was well worth it.

We saw the beloved Risingers. They have taught us amazing things about life, and marriage, and ministry over the years. It was so nice to be in there company again. They took us to wonderful places, but my favorite times were just sitting at their house catching up with them. They seem peaceful. I miss them and this time with them was refreshing. I couldn't figure out who Aggie enjoyed more-Bill or the dog!

They also got us free Aquarium passes! It was so nice not to have to pay that bill and we had a wonderful time in Monterey playing at the Dennis the Menace park, seeing the fishes, going through shops, eating ice cream and visiting a quirky little interactive children's museum. My favorite part was climbing out on the rocks with Aggie one afternoon and tide pooling. It was just the two if us and she was so brave! We climbed way out and touched all kinds of green anemones (Adam is afraid of them!!!), learned about barnacles and muscles, saw hermit crabs and whelks and even saw big sea stars. It was such a great moment together.

We also met Megan, my lovely sister, for dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp on Cannery Row. She drove 2 hours each way just to see us. I love her and it was great to talk face to face and catch up. She is so beautiful and relaxed and interesting. I love every moment we have together. I am so glad she found me and is in my and my girls lives.


We rounded out the trip with the grand finale...a visit with some of our closest friends-the Osbornes. We figured everyone else has gotten there we better get there too!!! They have been gone for over a year now! This was such a restful stop! I love, love Annie and miss her being in my daily life. We had such good, honest talks that I think we both ended up facing life decisions and changes we have been going through. We had time to cruise the streets of Santa Cruz shopping like young, free girls (no kids!!!...or husbands!!!) I love Santa Cruz. Everyone is as green as me and they have whole shops devoted to it. They didn't even offer me plastic bags for me to turn down. Everything was so organic and earthy-it is my new favorite vacation spot. Good friends and good earth. I will be back! Payton and Aggie were so bonded I felt like I didn't really interact with Aggie the entire time we were there. No one can make me laugh like Trav. Jonah and I had some good talks and he even warmed up enough toward me to tell me I was funny and hold my hand. Davy is quite the little man now and he was so sweet with Gwyn. It was a wonderful visit...I wish I could have packed them up and brought them home in my suitcase.

Our road trip was a wonderful one of friends and relationships. I wish it could have been longer...and I wish they could have slept this peacefully for the whole trip. Isn't Gwyn cute when she is sleeping rather than screaming?

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

just wanted to say that you look great!

03/03/1974 - 02/09/2010 said...

Sounds like a fun and exhausting trip. I miss the Risingers and Osbornes.