Monday, November 19, 2007

My 120 hours of Credential Nonsense


Guess what I am doing? Finally getting to those 12 units I keep harping on-isn't procrastination great! I am watching hours upon hours of stale, poorly produced videos on Cross Cultural Teaching in the California Classroom to get my CLAD certificate before the California Credentialing Committee changes the rules and I have do do something much more involved to meet this requirement, which is given by most districts to hire (including mine). I have to finish by the end of the year and send it off in January-which means I get to work through the holidays. It is a BURDEN to keep up these California Teaching Credentials, but at this point I feel like I have invested so much money and time I can't let it go...can I get an AMEN from anyone in education? This stinks.



3 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Are these the hours that you keep track of and have someone sign off of for you..... or are they classes that you have to take and pay to get units in?
Either way---yucky yucky. Yes, they keep changing their mind. You don't want to have the time and money go down the drain. You can always teach full time if God leads in that direction (hard to imagine that happening....)
Just plow on through. You are probably a perfectionist. Remember, it really does not matter if you remember every little thing you read/hear on the video. or if you get an A on the test. Just get the units and get on down the road.

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

By the way, RUSD and the State no longer do the 120 hours of professional development documentation renewal..... you just go to the CCTC website and pay the fee to renew the credential. As long as you have been reading professional articles, participating in teaching activities, and doing things in the teaching field, they say you are fine- and presume you have done 120 hours in 5 years.

Leslie said...

Yes, I'll Amen that. I didn't do it because I didn't love teaching but I'm glad that those who are passionate about teaching are commited to being the best they can be.
It was kind of a bummer for me to get a degree in something that I discovered too late that I didn't like. It was even harder when people kept telling me I needed to do it because I was gifted at it. Is it a gift if you don't enjoy it? I don't think so...I must have been faking being good at it!