Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Pretty Pink Feminists


I have always raised my four year old to believe in herself. I never forced girly-ness on her, but as you can see by her blog she has definitely chosen it. She is one of the fanciest, pinkest girls I know. But she still is going to "change the world and make it so lots of girls can be pastors" (something that still needs to change in our evangelical Christian circles). She tells this freely to everyone and recently told me she wants someone to write a book about her life because she is going to change the world like Fa Mulan did for China (she impersonated a man and was in the Chinese army in 380 AD). I am glad my feeble attempts to keep the feminism alive by reading books like The Paper Bag Princess mixed in with the Cinderella and Fancy Nancy has worked. I suppose it is not really feminism, but personism as my friend Bill Catling says. I am the first one to stand up for my wonderful parenting partner and husband when people so rudely say "Is Adam babysitting the girls for you?", no he is just parenting them, Dads don't babysit. Women and Men have their special talents and roles, but we all should partner in life with parenting, finances, decisions, leadership, you get the drift...off my soapbox.

3 comments:

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

I love this Jess.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess, we have two pastors on our staff who are women.

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

we also have women pastors...