Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Prop AB 755 - Prohibition of Spanking...

"AB 755 would, in its practical effect, make a non-injurious spanking with an object such as a ruler, small paddle, etc. illegal. After being arrested, charged, and tried in a criminal court, parents could receive up to one year in jail and could lose custody of their children."

Info on this proposition is now on the Christian email curcuit and the email forward proposes we take action AGAINST it. My response is not to forward it on, but to think why do we as religious people hit our kids at all-especially with an implement? I don't agree with hitting kids in any way to get them to behave. It seems we should lead by example and I think we all agree we don't want them hitting other kids at play-dates. I interpret (after biblical research) the rod referenced in Proverbs as a shepherds rod. This rod is used to guide and redirect or even to protect the sheep from predators. I feel I can shepherd my children with other gentle, yet firm discipline techniques. I do have friends who choose to spank and though I do not agree I respect their decision to do so...with their hand. I do not accept use of an implement as this law proposes because that is too much force to use on a child. Children should be protected from this avenue of abuse. If it hurts a parent too much to hit with a hand then they are hitting too hard. There are other faith and biblically based ways to parent that don't involve hitting and they can be read about at Dr. Sears site (who is a christian man), and in his book The Discipline Book where he makes a point that it is not necessarily biblical to hit our kids. More info can be found on websites such as Graceful Mothering and Gentle Christian Mothers and Parenting in Jesus' Footsteps . I know this is such a hot topic and there have been tons of my friends that have gone through "Growing Kids God's Way" and read Dobson pamphlets, but this makes my blood race when I hear that it is somehow our right as Americans to hit our kids with sticks and belts and rulers and whatnot. I don't think this is leading to a no spanking law (though I wouldn't oppose one), it is just protecting kids-go read it. What would you as an adult do if someone hit you with a belt or a shoe? Maybe your pastor would take you aside and whip your legs with a stick "lovingly" to teach you not to go into credit card debt? I am thinking that would not go over to well in a counseling session...

5 comments:

TimB said...

I have to agree that spanking with an implement is completely wrong. Resorting to violence shows a lack of imagination. Unfortunately, I'm not very imaginative. Luckily Aidan and Abigail hate timeouts.

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

I've never understood the rational of hitting your kids to teach them that hitting is wrong.

Thanks Jess for getting on your soapbox - I'm with you on this one!

Bryan said...

I really took to heart your blog, Jess. I agree with you, and I thank you for explaining (with biblical interpretation) the "spare the rod" verse. And Adam makes me "randy baby"! Was that appropriate?
B

Hilaree said...

PREACH IT, GIRL!!! It's so funny - I was working on writing a non-spanking post for my underachieving blog and I had to keep deleting because I kept going all sarcastic and I don't think it would've been received well.

A few comments for your readers... the Old Testament also says that we should PUT TO DEATH adulterers. (Somewhere in Deuteronomy) If we choose to follow an out of context, misinterpreted verse on "the rod" out of the OT, why are we not following the adultery verse, for example? Christians that choose to hit their children are living under the law and are afraid. Jesus said that for anyone who offended these little ones, it would be better if he had a millstone tied around his neck and be thrown into the sea. Now that's something to think about.

I am also against punishment in general. A great book on this is Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. While not Christian, his book is so well-stocked with research it just shouldn't be ignored. Punishment teaches children (and adults) to fear. Period. Perfect love casts out fear, it does not create it.

I guess I needed your blog to sound my voice on this issue. Thanks, girlie! You rock!!

Annie said...

Your blog was articulate and well put Jess and gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing your heart and conviction on a tough subject!