Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Faith and Anne Lamott


I went for a run this morning as I am training for the Mission Inn 5K Run on Nov 11. (I really need to kick it up a notch as I am running with Adrianne Ashley who has run a marathon-a marathon!) Anyway, while I run I listen to books and right now I am listening to Plan B by Anne Lamott. Alyssa turned me on to her back in Anne's Traveling Mercies days and I am in love. Anne is so raw, and honest, and mixed up, and profound, and crude, and beautiful all at the same time. She is so real. We are reading this book for small group so I am really trying to pay attention because I actually have to talk about it with others...so this is the second time I have listened. She said (actually a quote from a priest friend)
...that the opposite of Faith is not Doubt, but rather certainty...
That hit me. I doubt a lot...a lot. More than a pastor's wife is supposed to-or at least admit that she does. I know it is good to question. I know that on the outside. But that is not the day to day reality of living in the limelight of ministry. But, this reality made me realize that when I am certain then I don't have Faith. Faith is stepping out and living a life even amidst the doubts. I love Anne.

No comments: