Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The heartbreak of your child...


I told my daughter today that another of her close friends was moving away-and pretty far this time. It was horrible to witness the heartbreak. It came up in a story we were reading and I thought-OK now is the time. As I told her I could see the realization on her face and then this low wail started to come. It got so loud I had to close the hotel window and just let her cry it out and tell me how bad it hurt. She said, "If he moves how can I ever marry him?" and "Now only one of the five familes is left with us." and "My heart is hurting so much because it is broken." It was gutwrenching because I feel the same emotions. I just held her and comforted. I told her things like "We will visit." and "He will be back to see his grandparents." But, it is hard to watch your child deal with these times of loss of such young friendships. Harder even than I expected.

3 comments:

Elissa said...

I feel you girl! In terms of helping your kids cope with grief and loss...I've had 3 of my 4 in that place at the same time - I was never more thankful Sophia didn't understand something!!!

Kathy-Ri said...

i admire your strength for your daughter, as i know this all must be hard for you guys too...

Krista Debrick said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that Jess! I wish I could be there to cuddle and comfort you both too. I love you and miss you. Give Agatha an extra kiss for me.