Monday, October 15, 2007

Why I am a environmentalist...



We recently did a DARE to know, grow and go series at church. It dealt a lot with social injustice and it was awesome. I wish these kind of issues were the topic of every sermon. But I heard little rumblings of "Is our church going liberal?" Oh, gracious. I am a liberal I guess, but I think Jesus calls us to care for people and His creation. Doesn't he? I was raised to think this way and come from a family that has these concerns ingrained. I don't think it is a politically liberal issue to care about the earth. I think it is being good stewards of the beautiful creation we have been blessed with. No matter what state you believe the environment is in, why-with all these easy ways to be sensitive-make more of an impact than we need to?

Some simple things we do are (at least the seem simple to us):
*hang clothes on a line outside instead of the dryer
*use ALL energy efficient light bulbs
*recycle everything that is recyclable-plastic, metals, paper
*compost all organic materials
*use flush able or cloth diapers
*eat organic and fair trade foods
*avoid chemicals in detergents, pesticides, soaps, and cleaners around the home
*take our paint and batteries to the hazardous waste collection days
*water less and plant all drought tolerant plants
*shorter showers and no running water while brushing teeth
*avoid using paper products-and never Styrofoam
*drive a lower gas mileage car
*have ceiling fans and run the air/heat as little as possible
*use rags instead of paper towels
*no chemicals on our lawn
*donate everything we don't want or need to goodwill instead of sending it to a landfill
*use canvas bags when shopping
*fill sport bottles for on the go water rather than water bottles
*wash all clothes in cold
*run the dishwasher only when jammed full
*natural bug control-no pesticides
*use recycled paper products for toilet paper, napkins, etc.
*walk to events when possible, rather than drive

Some harder or more expensive things we are striving toward:
*drive a hybrid car ($5000 more)
*drive a motorcycle or scooter (where to put the kids? :)
*install solar panels on our house (will the historic society let us? and do you have $30,000?)
*buy organic or fair trade clothes (Target is more our price range)
*use cloth napkins instead of paper (hm...lazy)
*mow with battery operated or push mowers (we still have a service)
*use less individual serving pre-packaged snacks (then I have to have self control!!!)
*remember to take my refillable coffee mug to Starbucks
*flush less-I just can't leave pee in the toilet yet (though I did this growing up)

Just thought I would let people in to our life a bit because I guess I grew up thinking everyone was like this, but am now realizing that is not the case. I was kind of taken aback when Adam explained that some people think Environmentalist are just pushing their agenda to make a profit and that people actually think the earth is fine. I guess I am naive there, but I just want to earth to be all God created it to be for a long time. Why not? It is not that hard.
I found some great groups of Believers that are living this green lifestyle too. It is ok to be a Believer in Jesus and love the earth-really. Earth Ministry, and Restoring Eden Maybe we should start a chapter out here. Then I would really be weird (not that my baby wearing, homeschooling, organic, green, extended nursing, co sleeping ways haven't conveyed that message already to my surrounding so cal suburbanite conservative Christians-oh well.)

3 comments:

Krista Debrick said...

Yea, you're right. I guess we were raised weird because that all seems normal to me too. But I love it all and wouldn't change any of it...no matter how weird people think I am. Mom did a good job I guess. =)

Mamadebrick said...

Your words do such justice to my feelings. Thank you for taking my Mom's example of earthly stewardship, that I have been blessed to pass on,and add the new things that we have learned in the past 50 years,to insure a healthy earth for my grandchildren.

Hilaree said...

Hi there,
Recently started reading your blog, and was so excited to find a kindred spirit! We too are a Christian, unschooling, extended breastfeeding, organic food-eating, co-sleeping, babywearing, environmentalist, artsy fartsy family! My husband and I have two children, a daughter aged 3 and a son age 1. Two feisty and interesting children. I would love to correspond with you!