Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My altar call Jack-o-lantern


I love teaching with metaphor. I try to learn from the example Jesus gave by always using this effective teaching technique whenever possible. A friend of mine shared a way to go through basic beliefs in Christ while carving a pumpkin. It sounded good, so I tried it this year as we were alone for carving. (We usually throw a big party for Pumpkin Carving as I LOVE it, but took a year off with baby and all-we will do it next year!!!) But, I am glad we did.
Basically the metaphor is that everyone has goopey yuckiness (sin) in their pumpkin (heart/soul/life) with some bits of good-the seeds. The pumpkin can't clean itself out, or any other pumpkins for that matter. But, someone greater can come along and clean it out (God). It is nasty and gross (Jesus had to die) to do, but must be done to make way for the jack-o-lantern. Then the pumpkin is carved into something new and beautiful to become the jack-o-lantern (just like we are formed into a new and beautiful creation). And only when we let that carving happen (the changes in our character by loving and helping others) can the light shine out (the light of hope and Jesus' story). As the metaphor grew more and more complex with our conversation and carving it even made me more and more thankful for the beauty of God's gift to me and a desire to let my light glow beautifully through.
She responded with such great discussion and questions. It was awesome. She said the sweetest and most sincere prayer that she wanted to be carved like a jack-o-lantern and let her light shine out without the yuckiness inside. It was beautiful.
As I tucked her in I told her that in the Bible it says that God wrote HER name down in His book and the angels were dancing around in celebration and that whenever she was truly sorry she was forgiven. Her eyes sparkled in the nightlight glow. She was so excited she had to get up and tell Daddy. As she drifted to sleep she said "Where do you want to go in our dreams?" (we often meet up for playdates in our dreams) and we decided to go to the party in heaven. We are going to glitter so brightly we are like stars and have long hair with curls and beautiful legs and arms to dance around. Sounds fun. You can come too if you like.

1 comment:

Mamadebrick said...

I love this story. Made me cry(lots does these days). Iam gonna keep this one. I can just see Agatha glowing.