Tuesday, September 11, 2007

a delay in the fancy

I am a girl who follows fashion. I read the magazines, I makeover people in my mind, I love mixing trends with my simple basics, I love wearing makeup and sparkly things, I LOVE a great dress and funky heels, you get the idea...I love being a girl. But this stage of life I haved dubbed in my more frustrated moments as "infancy confinement" has brought a delay in the fancy. As I sit here ready for a day of work meetings with my infant in tow, checking emails and typing one handedly while I nurse I survey the outfit I have assembled-no fancy. I know I'll get it back-in a few years...but, I no longer wear dangly earrings (they get pulled out by little hands), no necklaces (once again pulled and it's right where her head lays while sleeping in a carrier), no bulky braclets (hard for nursing), no dresses (once again hard for nursing :), not many heels (flats are better for balance with a baby strapped to your chest), no sequins sewn to my clothes (they scratch baby), no cute trendy purses (mine is a makeup bag stuffed in my diaper bag-which is a beautiful petunia pickle bottom thanks to loving friends and an awesome husband :), and most days no toenail polish or makeup simply because I can't find the time. Oh, to be cute, funky me again!!! I love my role as mother, and I make all these choices for the love of my infant, but I do miss my fanciness.

4 comments:

k said...

ditto everything you said! i'm still wondering where my fanciness went, and my daughter is 4!

MamaSue said...

Jess, locate this blog and fall in love with this mom. She's you all over, except her outlet is fabric instead of prints. Enjoy! http://soulemama.typepad.com/

megan miller said...

hey jess! you'll get it back. you're too creative : ) and you're gorgeous no matter what, regardless of the fancy. HEY! We are both INFJ in meyers briggs.... only 1% of the population, so they say ; ) lots of love, megan

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

Yes!!! There was this beautiful shirt I was really wanting to get the other day but I knew, I couldn't even make it out the door without it being smeared with boogies. Someday...

p.s. love reading your blog! I'm coming to Riverside in October for Jaime Rece (Stream's) baby shower. We should try and grad a cup of coffee or something!