Saturday, September 8, 2007

a full day of homeschooling

We had an amazing day of schooling today. We are structured unschoolers-in that we do unschooling which is childlead with a bit of structure to make sure we are doing something. Today we were so productive...we visited Great Gramps McIntyre and discussed how to look people in the eye while responding, how to behave in an older person's home, and how to be polite.

...we reviewed our five reading books and learned a new one with the words WE and HAVE. She shared it with Gramps to great applause.


We did this awesome research project and diagram report on a Sea Kelp Forest. Let me digress a description because the teacher in me is proud of this one-we researched Seaweed on Wikipedia and made kelp with waterballoon leaves and floaters on a string tied to a rock. They are in the aqua water in our punchbowl and there are fish taped to outside as the fish living in the forest. She made a diagram on a photo I took of the original find in Carpinteria that inspired this all. Then dictated a report of all we learned including that kelp is actually an algae! OK digression finished.

She "jammed" for her baby sister and played Twinkle Twinkle and Ode to Joy with harmony. Whew. It was a great day-I triumphed-I balanced a teething 3 month old and did all this with my hard to focus, very energetic 4 year old while Dad was at work...but can someone come over and fold my clean laundry?...all 7 loads of it. :) Too bad I am not a wonder woman who can do it all, hey?






No comments: